Kobbari Perugu Pachadi is by far my first choice when I want a chutney for idli or dosa. A variation of the pure coconut chutney, this pachadi is more mellow because of the use of yoghurt. 🙂
You can find the vegan version of the pachadi (without dahi) under Kobbari Pachadi or Coconut Chutney for Idli or Dosa.
Time: 10 Minutes
- Fresh grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
- Udad Dal – 1 tsp
- Rai – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli – 1
- Green Chilli – 2
- Ginger – 1/4″ piece
- Curry Leaves – A few
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Grind the coconut, green chilli and ginger together.
- Beat the dahi till smooth.
- Mix the coconut paste, dahi and salt.
- In a ladle, heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Turn of the heat,
- Add the split red chilli and curry leaves to the oil.
- Stir-fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the Kobbari Perugu Pachadi.
- Enjoy with Idli, Dosa, Upma, or as side-dish at a South Indian Lunch.
- Do not grind the coconut too fine.
- Ensure that the yogurt is not sour.
- If you are not going to use the pachadi immediately or have some left over, refrigerate it. This chutney turns sour quickly, especially in hot weather. 🙁
Leave a Reply