It helps to have foodies for workmates because you are forever getting good stuff at lunch. Fortunately for me, my team is full of good food lovers. 🙂 This delicious and nutritious Pearl Barley and Mushroom Risotto is something I learnt from team mate, Deepali.
When Deepali got this Pearl Barley and Mushroom Risotto for lunch one day, I knew it would become a staple in my home. I usually have Pearl Barley at home to make Lemon Barley Water. I drink this regularly as a means of reducing water retention and lowering body heat.
What I liked about this recipe is that the pearl barley reduces my craving for rice, while mushrooms are always welcome on my plate. Moreover, this one-dish meal can take on any flavour profile you want it too. Here I have kept it very simple, just garlic and pepper for flavouring. You can add cheese, red chilli flakes, or dried herbs for a more complex flavour.
Do also try these other recipes that celebrate mushrooms: Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms, Mushroom Chettinad, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Shahi Dhingri Matar, and Spaghetti with Mushrooms in a Creamy Cashew Sauce.
Coming back to Deepali, she is one person who tries all cuisines, and has quite an open mind and refined palate. She experiments with many cuisines at home too and is quite an expert at using Indian ingredients as substitutes in cuisines from other lands. For example, I have seen her use Dalia as a substitute for Bulgur in Tabbouleh, and make quite a nice fried rice with a Japanese Cucumber Relish.
So without much ado, I present Deepali’s Pearl Barley and Mushroom Risotto.
How to Make Pearl Barley and Mushroom Risotto
I learnt this hearty Pearl Barley and Mushroom Risotto from a friend and it has become one of my favourite one-dish meals. You can make variations of it by adding chilli flakes, cheese, and dried herbs.
- 200 Gms Mushrooms
- 1/3 Cup Pearl Barley
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Grated Cheese Optional
- Salt to Taste
Clean and cut the mushrooms into quarters.
In a small pressure cooker, heat the olive oil.
Add the chopped garlic and onion.
Stir-fry till the onion is transparent.
Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, and washed barley.
Add 1 cup water.
Pressure cook on low-to-medium flame for 10 minutes. We want pressure to build but not be released, as in no whistles.
Let the cooker rest for 10 minutes.
Open and mix with a gentle hand.
Add grated cheese and mix well. I did not use any.
Recipe for Pearl Barley and Mushroom Risotto
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a soft dry cotton cloth.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- In a heavy-bottomed vessel, over medium flame, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chopped garlic and onion.
- Stir-fry till the onion is transparent.
- Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and washed barley.
- Mix well.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Pressure cook on low-to-medium flame for 10 minutes. We want pressure to build but not be released, as in no whistles.
- Let the cooker rest for 10 minutes.
- Open and mix with a gentle hand.
- Add grated cheese and mix well. I did not use any.
- Serve hot.